How to burn your candle
Light your candle in a well-ventilated room, away from drafts, fans or open windows, which can cause sooting (black marks on the jar), or rapid, uneven burning.
Burn regular-sized candles for one and a half to two hours at a time or until the wax has pooled to the edges. Burning for less time can cause the candle to 'tunnel', which leaves a build-up of wax around the jars sides and can reduce the maximum burn time.
Burning for longer periods (over four hours) can cause the wick to move, or slant.
Make sure you stop burning your candle when 10mm of wax remains at the bottom, keeping an eye on a burning candle when the wax is low.
Once lit do not move your candle this can cause the wick to move.
How to care for wicks
Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings and matches, as debris in the wax can act as a secondary wick, encouraging your candle to burn faster.
After extinguishing the flame with a snuffer, centre and straighten the wick. Burning for too long can cause the wick to move, or slant. If you see a flaming wick come close to the vessel wall, extinguish the flame and straighten the wick to prevent the vessel from cracking.
Long, or crooked wicks can create high flames, smoking, or sooting. Trimming the wick to 5mm (when the wax has set) following every burn is the easiest way to prevent this.
Did you know
Each of our candles burns for a varying length of time depending on their individual scent and how they are cared for. We provide an estimated time on each individual candle page and recommend following our care guides to get the most out of your candles. Below is a guide for the approximate burn time of our candles.
60ml - 20 hours 180ml - 45 hours 500ml - 120 hours
How to store your candle
Avoid spraying household products, or home spray in the air, or on surfaces near the candle. When your candle isn't in use, store in a cool dry place and cover it with its candle lid on to protect the quality wax from dust, which can dull its scent and cause problems during burning.
Condensation on the surface of a candle is a sign it has not been stored correctly, or has been stored for too long. Make sure to wipe this away with a paper towel before lighting.
Storing candles for too long can affect the scent (over 2 years), so use your candle in a reasonable time to make the most of its beautiful scent.
Always store your candles out of reach of children and animals.